Pages

Thursday, December 10, 2009

my lil' bookworm

In my childhood days, I would consider myself a bookworm. Wherever I go, I will carry a book to accompany me. If you look under my bed, there will be dozens of story books that I read to sleep.. Today, though I still love the idea of reading, I just don't have the luxury of time anymore.

I noticed that kids nowadays don't read as much. Or at least the kids I know don't read as much as I did when I was younger. When visiting a family friend, or travelling, instead of a book, kids today carry PSP or handphone to keep them company.

I don't want my kids to be like that. I want my kids to love reading as much as I did. That's the reason why hubby and me started to read to Adam since I was still in my confinement. We wanted the habit to grow into him as he grows older. Alhamdulillah, so far, it seems to work. Adam enjoys reading his books as much as I enjoy reading them to him. Family friends who came to visit were surprised to see how Adam enjoys his reading session.
When I read to Adam, I will try to be as animated as I could. I think that is the only way to make the book seems interesting to my little boy. The best part is, Adam knows who can read his books to him. He will ask me, my husband, my parents or my siblings to read to him. But with the maid, he will read to her instead! And complete with hand gestures and all! How cute is that ;p
Whenever we go out or travel, apart from his formula and diaper, one of his book will always be in the bag. It never fails to cheer him up whenever he starts to get bored.
Through reading, I could introduce Adam to things around him and teach him how to make sounds. Adam's first word, Ba' = bird, also came from his favourite book. Now, Adam can recognize cows and birds, among others, no matter how they look. He will say Baaa' for cow and Beee' for bird :) A child is never too young to read :)

Here are some photos of my lil' bookworm with his book :p




Adam's collection so far.. can't wait to fill the rack :p

2 comments:

annie said...

ba' ba' baaaa'!!!! gemoknye adam anniee!!!!!geram!!!!tak sabarnye nak balik gigit adam!!!

mommy kam said...

harap maklum adam dah kurus. b4 this 14.8kg.. sekarang 13.3kg.. mungkin sebab rindukan annie agaknye.. jadi annie sila bawa pulang hadiah yang bes utk adam yang rindu kat annie ni :p