Pages

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Roti Paun

If you have been to Terengganu, you might noticed the sign "Roti Paung (Terengganuspeak for Paun) Panas" almost everywhere. My favourite roti paung is sold at Shell Batu Buruk under the label Ngor Bites or something of that effect.

My guess, roti paung or paun came from the word pound. Maybe 1 batch of roti paung weighs 1 pound. Anyway, if you have tried roti paung before, you would notice that they are very soft and the structure is so simple. Even after a few days, the bread would still be soft and one would not satisfy you as they are made into small little buns.

Anyway, as you might have known, my latest hobby is trying out new recipes. Last night, I decided to try MamaFami's Roti Paun. In her blog she gave credit to Bro Rozzan and rnana. I have tried a few recipes from MamaFami before and they all turned out well. So I decided to give this a try. It might not be the best roti paun I ever tasted but it sure is one of the best :)

Here is the recipe posted in MamaFami's Blog:

ROTI PAUN
Source : rnana @ Forum Komuniti Teratak

Ingredients :

1/2 cup luke warm water
1 egg (large)
300 g flour
80 g sugar (my scale is not that accurate so I convert it to 2/5 cups*)
20 g milk powder (1 tablespoon)
1 teaspoon instant dried yeast
1/2 teaspoon bread softener
1/4 teaspoon (heap) bread improver
1 tablespoon margarine


Method : (using Bread Maker)

1. Pour the lukewarm water into the bread maker pan. Add in egg.
2. Add in flour, sugar, milk powder, instant dried yeast, bread softener and bread improver.
3. On the bread maker to Dough setting. (This setting will takes about 1 1/2 hour to finish it's cycle.)
4. Once the dough is just combined, add in the margarine. Let the BM continue it's process. (I added the margarine with the liquid)

the dough is ready

5. After about 1 1/2 hour, remove the dough from the pan and divide to 63g each. Make into round balls and leave to rest for 10 minutes. (my balls were about 60+grams each and I managed to get only 8 balls. To make the ball,  just pull the top skin to the bottom of the ball so it made a clear smooth top)

The size is not the same as those that has been shaped will raise while you shape the others

6. Grease a 9 x 9 inch pan with margarine and coat with a bit of flour. Remove the access flour. (I use round pan as I only got 8 balls of dough. I skipped the greasing part because I used non-stick baking tray)

7. Shape the balls again and place them in the prepared tin. (As my favourite roti paung has margarine taste at the bottom, I decided to insert some margarine in a few of the balls)

put the margarine at the bottom of the dough

then you pull the dough from top to hide the margarine 

Wrap the tin and let the dough prove again. In my case, I left it for more than 2 hours. (I left it for 2 hours 15 minutes and covered the pan with wet towel)

cover the pan with wet towel

8. When the dough is double the size, bake in a preheated oven at 180 C for 20 to 25 minutes. (I baked for 20 minutes)

the dough ready to be baked
as my oven's heat is not equally spread, I had to turn the pan after 10 minutes

9. Once out of the oven, brush with margarine for a shiny effect.
fresh from the oven

after the shiny effect

the bottom - the yellow part are the ones with margarine inside it

the inside texture

You can enjoy it on its own or dunk it in Nescafe/Milo. Yummy!



* Conversion Table that I use:

Gram To Volume Chart

ProductGrams
Per Cup
Grams
Per Ounce
Grams
Per Teaspoon
Grams
Per Tablespoon
Baking powder, double acting


4.6 grams

Baking soda


4.6 grams

Butter
227


14.2 grams
Buttermilk
245
30.60 grams per fl


Flour, all purpose
125



Flour, whole wheat
120
15 grams per oz
2.5 grams
7.5 grams
Gelatine, unflavored
227
28.38 grams
4.7 grams

Oil, olive
216


13.5 grams
Oil, vegetable  (liquid)
218


14 grams
Peanut butter
258



Rice, long grain, white
185



Salt, table
292



Shortening, vegetable or lard (solid)
205


12.8 grams
Sugar, brown
220

4.6 grams

Sugar, granulated
200

4.2 grams

Sugar, powdered (unsifted)
120

2.5 grams
8 grams
Vanilla Extract
208

4.2 grams
13 grams
Water
237
29.57 grams


Yeast, bakers, dry active
224
28.00 grams

No comments: